Sunday, March 28, 2010

Home Business Tips #1: Getting Started

It takes a certain kind of madness to start your own home business, and a certain kind of courage to take it on full time. For myself, it was a matter of knowing that I had nothing to lose. I had just finished animation school, still working on my portfolio and all the while working part time as a cashier at a liquor store. By the way, I commend those who could put up with the harassment when it comes to dealing with jerks while working behind the counter because I'm pretty sure it took off a couple of years of my life. I ran into Etsy while browsing through the web and knew that I could do it. I could make things and sell them. I had nothing stopping me so the choice was easy to make.

White Rabbit Head Case Charm

Available here!

But for others, the decision is not as easy. Especially if you equate a family, husband, kids, pets, chores, full time job, friends, money, mother-in-law and the list goes on...and on. So before you jump into anything DO YOUR RESEARCH! Look before you leap because trust me, you may very well fall short and crash. It can all be very overwhelming, so take your time to figure it all out. There's no need to rush. Look at other shops/businesses, check out your local post offices, look up prices, inquire if you need a license, read blogs and/or books! Know what you're getting into because despite all the benefits of having your own small business, there are plenty of cons to go with it. Here are some of my own pros and cons:

Magic Mushroom Head Girl

Available here!

Pro: I'm my own boss! I make my time. I call the shots!

Con: I'm my own boss! Everything falls on me. If something goes wrong, or I've made a terrible decision - which I have many times - that's on my shoulders, and there's no one to blame but myself.

Pro: I don't have to deal with annoying co workers who talk crap about me behind my back. Yes, I'm talking about you, Aundrea! I know what you said about my hair!

Con: I'm alone most of the day. I'm not exactly a social butterfly but not having anyone to talk to for 9-10 hours 5 out of 7 days a week can be a little maddening. *twitch*

Pro: I'm doing something I enjoy for a living!

Con: I've turned what I enjoy into work...

Year of the Tiger Charm

Available here!

And when you finally have a good understanding of the market and what you're getting yourself into - and you're willing to take it on - for God's sake PLAN!! Where are you going to get your materials? Where can you get the best deal? How are you going to package and ship your items? How much are you going to sell your products for? Can you AFFORD your supplies and fees right now? Do you have an allotted space to create your items? Do you have the TIME to make items, post, ship, shop for materials and answer inquiries? Are your family and friends supportive of your endeavor?

Aries Zodiac Charm

Available here!

I think that last question is the most important. You can learn what you need to do in your business as time goes on - which is pretty much what I had to do - but if the people around you aren't on the same page then that's the hardest part. I started my shop when I was 23. My main responsibility was paying off school loans. I know for most, they can't say the same. Having a home business is time consuming, sometimes even heartbreaking when you don't immediately start making the sales you want. And remember that it takes money to make money. Make sure your decision isn't affecting those around you negatively. When it comes to having your own home business, you need all the support you can get from your loved ones. ^__^

White Rabbit Charm

Available here!

Where to sell?

Ebay, the granddaddy of all shop sites. But keep in mind that most everyone who shop on Ebay are looking for bargains. Great bargains.

Etsy, need I say more? A site dedicated solely to handmade things with an open door to vintage items.

Zazzle
is great for all artists. You can pretty much stick your art on anything: mugs, shirts, stickers, even shoes and skateboards!

Cafepress, very much like Zazzle. You can stick your artwork on shirts, water bottles and even pet bowls. But note that they don't have some of the cool stuff that Zazzle offers (ie personalized postage stamps, and did I mention shoes and skateboards?).

Your own website, but only if you know what you're doing because designing and building a website from ground up takes time and more than just basic knowledge of html coding.

Supermarket
is great for designers, BUT they don't accept just anybody. You have to be approved first. O__o

Silkfair
is considered a baby compared to the giant handmade community of Etsy. I, myself, have an account here (mind you, it's not open yet) but I've found to like the more intimate feeling of this community. Better make use of it now before it really explodes.

These are some of my fave sites. There are so much more out there so take a look. ^__^

So take everything into account, but at the same time don't think about it too much. I think people can sometimes overwhelm themselves with the fear of the unknown and psyche themselves out. If you really want to do it then go for it. Sometimes all you really need is the excitement of the challenge to motivate you to begin. Cause this SH*T is hard, but it's oh so worth it. ~__^

Egg Head Boy

Available here!

Other helpful links

How to Start a Home-Based Craft Business
by Kenn Oberrecht, great book and very informative.

Dick Blick Art Material, they have EVERYTHING here. And when I say everything, I do mean everything.

Jewelry Supply
, name says it all. They have everything from beads to boxes to jewelry displays.

Adobe Photoshop
, beautify and edit your photos with this brilliant program. You'll wonder how you went without it for so long.


As always, happy crafting!
Shy

On my playlist:

31 comments:

Magik New Media said...

Website designs should be appealing to the eye, crafted to suit the brand. A website design that stands out results in a positive growth in revenue.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Shielo

louboutin Link Exchange said...

Women should ensure that the shoes and bags not only look amazing,louboutin but
they also match.

louboutin Link Exchange said...

Women try to store cheap christian louboutin footwears and strollchristian louboutin, to ensure that the right shoes, to maintain comfortable shoes they want to make sure they look good.

louboutin Link Exchange said...

You should not miss this chance discount christian louboutin get the best cheap christian
louboutin shoes.

louboutin Link Exchange said...

Access to our online shopping, christian louboutin shoes,search the shoes that you dreaming of all of your life.

louboutin Link Exchange said...

All of our christian louboutin shoes are made of the similar materials,christian louboutin sale hand made with high quality,low price.

louboutin Link Exchange said...

Further more,we also provide a guide about how to care of your cheap christian louboutin shoes
chanel shoes. Some tips that you might ignore in the past.

personal wardrobe consultant said...

Lovely jewels. They would sure compliment an outfit well.

anna said...

Coach Hobos Bags.Those are the awesome shops I wanna tell you guys Movado Bold,Baby Carriers I mean I am serious for this, you can just simple choose this option and pick what you want,power balance,winter boots,ecco shoesyou can just simple choose this option and pick what you want.Bakugan Toys.coach outlet store.

heartbug said...

Over the centuries has been using beads, sterling silver extensively in making jewelry items. This kind of ornaments are known to be affordable as well as sober looking.
pandora bracelets

Sangeetha Narender said...

they are gorgeous shielo... awesome work!!

Aaron said...

This "articules" are awesome. I prefer them as a gift than the expensive one.

Greetings, cheap flats Barcelona
vacation rental in Barcelona
short term rentals Barcelona

wedding photography Melbourne said...

Wow, superb designs, very good website, thanks for sharing

Aine O said...

THOSE DESIGNS ARE SOO CUTE!

fashion jewelry said...

wholesale fashion jewelry
fashion jewelry wholesale

Directory said...

I like this blog!
continue your fantastic job..

By Deepankar
Submit Links

World Famous said...

These designs are very beautiful.
Exam Cram

nikeairmaxshoes90 said...

The number of individuals who are willing to pay much cash on the Kobe shoes are buying it not for other reasons but the icon effect. Onitsuka Tiger Once they buy and wear these shoes, they will grasp a good understanding about how fantastic the shoes are. A quantity of kinds of the shoes below the mark named Nike, involving the Kobe shoes definitely, the majority of them have the capability to let people enjoy a higher jump that they have never had before and the reason why the shoes can be so amazing to do so goes to< align="left">Belstaff Womens Jackets their distinctive design.There is no query that a pair of this mode Kobe shoes will expense a lot, so lots of persons are eager to take good care of the shoes very muchLouis Vuitton Outlet

avenue 5 consulting said...

Etsy makes it easy. Thanks!

lin741852 said...

burberry tasche
chanel tasche
chloe tasche
gucci tasche
sac dolce gabbana
sac fendi
sac guess soldes
sac guess 2012 soldes
sac gucci
porte cles chanel
bracelet louis vuitton
tee shirts g star
tee shirts lacoste
tee shirts levis
sac guess
chaussures nike
chaussures puma
sac a main
tee shirts
juicy couture tasche
louis vuitton tasche>
versace tasche
juicy couture bolsas
louis vuitton bolsas
sac louis vuitton>
sac prada
sac versace

Murano Glass said...

Wowooo!!!!! All have superb designs these all stuff are so pretty. I liked your blog. You have done good job.

Unknown said...

Beats by dr dre, cheap monster beats headphones outlet. The beats by dre studio is highly recommended, I want to buy Monster beats lady gaga red earphones on sale.

Moritz Bellingshausen said...

I am interested in http://www.christian-louboutin-saleonline.com very much, so I concern on christian-louboutin-saleonline, well, Christian louboutin, cheap christian louboutin for sale, 70% off also sounds good.

Moritz Bellingshausen said...

I am interested in http://www.christian-louboutin-saleonline.com very much, so I concern on christian-louboutin-saleonline, well, Christian louboutin, cheap christian louboutin for sale, 70% off also sounds good.

Money Creators said...

its very informative content!
continue your good job...

By Money Creators
Best Stock Market Tips, Best Stock Advisory Service +91-9811584378

S5Systems Security Pvt Ltd said...

Thanks for sharing
Nice blog

By S5Systems
Narcotics Detector, E3500, Sabre 4000, VaporTracer, VaporTracer2

tahir sumar said...

Free Bollywood hot News, Bollywood Top Hot Actress and Hot Desi Girls Beautiful hot Pictures.
hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

tahir sumar said...

Most Popular and Famous Vehicles, Latest Speed Cars, Sports Cars Info and Pictures.
worldlatestvehicles.blogspot.com

the chuck norris memes said...

Your work is really amazing :)

Habeib Khan said...

Lols Gag is the the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Funny Vidoes, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Epic Videos, Prank Videos, Fail Videos and Much More Fun and Entertainment, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Lol Videos, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
lolsgag.com