Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Etsy Tips from an Amateur

Harry Potter and Pals. I've been wanting to make these guys for a while now and I'm so glad someone finally requested them. YAY!! My favorite would have to be Ron. Soooo cute!


(Hogwarts Trouble Makers)

On another note...Edward gets a slight makeover. Do you like it? I think it's a better rendition of Rob's hair than the previous hairstyle. But who knows? Let me know what you think! Should it stay or should it go? ^__^


(Eew...Bella smells. lol)

I've gotten several e-mails over the past couple months as to how others can find success on Etsy. Personally, I think I'm really the worst person to ask this for a number of different reasons. The first one being that even after a couple of months on Etsy I'm still not quite sure as to what I'm doing. Secondly there are far more successful Etsy sellers than myself. I'm very lucky that I have the support of my family and boyfriend. Without them I don't think I could do what I'm doing and not drown in bankruptcy. I can barely help Chris with our bills as it is. lol Fortunately, HE makes bank and it's getting a bit better now with some more organizing on my part. ^__^At least that's what I keep telling myself. O__o


(Went to an anonymous Twilight addict...)

But as for my Etsy shop I really had no plans, no direct vision, just some clay and paints. I looked at a few sites, jumped into it and hoped for the best. If I can give any advice this would be it: Plan ahead, do your research and be UNIQUE.


(Off to the post office!)

Planning is key. As I said I just dove right in. I wish I was able to organize a bit more but I didn't expect to be doing this either. Look at other Etsy sites, craft sites, go to the book store and look at craft/art books. Find out what kind of things catch your eye and get you excited. Buy some materials and see if you can make the stuff. Don't go overboard and buy $200.00 worth of supplies. Practice for a bit and get a feel for it and see if you enjoy it. ^__^ Look at blog sites and read the articles on Etsy's Storque. Take advantage of the forums and chats and ask questions! ^__^


(Carlos, ready to save the day and make the girls swoon with his sexiness...)

Be unique. I don't know how much more I can say this without sounding like an old broken record. lol This part is integral in my opinion. There are a lot of sellers and crafters on Etsy. Stand out. And if anything don't copy others. Obviously be inspired but don't flat out copy someone else's work. Not only do I believe this is ethically wrong but you're better off coming up with your own ideas anyway. Yes, it's a little harder and more time consuming, not to mention headache inducing, but it's worth it in the end. We all have the capacity to be creative. People want stuff that's unique and different. ^__^


(My second home...er...office)

I also got this question recently "How do I quit my job and sell on Etsy full time like you?" First off, please don't quit your job. I was laid off from my previous work before I finally said to myself, "Okay, this is it. Now's the time. No more dallying. Just do it. What do you have to lose?" If you find yourself in the same situation, go for it! But if you have a stable job with benefits and health care please don't go up to your boss, slap him in the face and tell him you quit. Test out the waters first. Set up an account, post a couple of things and go from there. Start a blog, join an Etsy team, network. Experiment with new ideas, see what's selling and just keep going. Push boundaries and don't be afraid to experiment. Expect failure and embrace failure. ^__^ Remember, it takes time and effort and it's different for everybody. ^__^ So be patient!



Last but not least, LOVE what you do, LOVE what you make. People can see that in the product. If it's sloppy and not done right then people will take note of it. Keep in mind that if you're not proud and happy with what you've made then how can you expect others to feel the same? As I said, I'm not an expert or anything. I'm still learning, still trying to figure out my schedule, where I can buy the best supplies without having to give up my penchant for Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream. ^__^


(Yummm)

That's pretty much it from me though! As I said, I'm not the best person to get advice from. But I will say that we all have to start somewhere. ^__^ Questions, concerns? You know the drill. See you guys on Saturday! Bridget's Haul is next, some Harry Potter shtuff...and maybe some werewolf action. ~__^ I know, I'm a tease!!!

Love,
Shielou


(Currently listening to The Beatles ^__^)

12 comments:

BPeterman said...

Harry Potter and pals are PERFECT!!! I see someone got the gryffindor colors...that must be Laina's! I can't wait to see mine...and wear 'em :) I do like the new Edward hairdo, it's glorrrrious!!!!

Helena said...

Ok, the Harry Potter homies? So. Damn. Cute. And I love Bella's hair. But I'm not too into Edward's new do.

Myrna said...

I agree, Harry Potter and pals really look awesome!! Edward with his new style...UUHH!! ^_^ lovely, and Bella looks really nice with her new hair too lol Also,Thanks for all the advice not just for the those who wish to be successful on etsy but,for others who can relate it to life: to look for a vision in life and never quit, to love what you do,to accept failure... It helps!!! (do u know how many times I wish I could burn my books!!??? AAaaaaahhhh!!! ;_; BURN, BURN!! *slap* *slap* I am ok!! ^_^) Thanks so much!! That really helped me think...

P.s. I think you will soon be one of those successful sellers since your work it's out of this world... you will see... ^_~

X♥X♥

Eyes of Amber said...

I absolutely adore the new "Bella smells" piece, so cute, but I do like the old Edward hair better. The new one probably is a bit more Rob, but the other is more Book Edward to me. Does that make sense? Love your work!

Eyes of Amber said...

oh, I'm posting the new Bella and Edward piece on my blog

CanDyRavE said...

I LOVE THE HARRY POTTER NECKLACE!!

*ok, breath, breath*

I might need to get a Ron!

Yeah, I think that the whole 'how can I be a sucess on etsy' thing is kind of another way of asking how you make your stuff. Because they see that you have so many sales and they want that too, you know? You said it the way that I would have said too! I get a few kids on myspace wanting to know how I make my hello kitty charms and all that. I tell them pretty much the same thing you said. Find what you like and excell at it!

As for Edward's hair...I am partial to the original, but in the end, it's up to you! :)

Laina said...

I agree with Nicole, Helena and Eyes of Amber, Ed's new hair is a change but I think the first look was more Edward and not Rob/Edward. But I definitely appreciate the fact that you're trying something new, and I understand - it can be tedious to produce the same thing over and over without trying something different.I definitely LOVE Bella's hair like that, it just looks AWESOME!

As for your Etsy advice - couldn't have said it better myself! =)

And as always, thank you for your devotion to your custom orders! *sniff sniff* I love you girl! haha

Take care! And rest ^_^

jupiternwndrlnd said...

Ron = LOVE!!

all of them really...but RON!! <3

SHeRyL said...

Edward hair looks good. I like both actually. The new hair would work if the sides weren't as flat (or maybe the top didn't come around to be so cone-like). If you could make it look more "windblown" I think you could perfect it.

Love the charms! How original!

Jaymei Elle said...

Hi! I know I haven't posted a comment in while! ^-^

I think Bella looks great in the Bella Smells necklace lol... but I must say that I like his old hair better. I think it was more Edward-y lol.

We alllll know that you're going to be a successful Etsy seller :) so just deal with it! hehe

<3

Helena said...

Actually, I agree with what SHeRyL said, maybe a little less coney, and windblown and it'll be awesome.

Olga said...

Hi! I love Your job! It's so amazing! Bella's hair looks nice. Edward... I don't know what is better. Harry Potter and pals are great! I love Your necklace but it is too expensive for me. Prices are not too high, but I don't have too much money. I admire your talent. Closely with the Polish greeting. Have a nice day!
PS. Sorry, my English isn't good.