Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Series of Unfortunate Events...And is that a Video Blog?

Whoa! Okay, so my list of stuff I wanted to get finished literally fell through my fingers. I unfortunately didn't get to everything because I had a curious case of crafting bad luck for the past couple of days. Earlier this week my first batch of clay sculptures all got damaged in the oven. As usual, I was thinking about food. O__o I know, go figure. Specifically baking some chocolate chip cookies and while I was thinking about gooey chocolate goodness I set the oven at 350 instead of 250. Five minutes after putting in my charms I smelled smoke and knew I was screwed.

*Sigh* So that was an entire day and a half wasted. *tear* Thirty. Thirty charm sculptures that went *poof*. I was so upset I made myself a batch of cookies (darn those chocolatey goodness for making me totally absentminded! And yes, I'm actually blaming innocent cookies for my wandering thoughts :P) and gorged myself. Which then made me feel better. ^__^..... well....sort of. The stomach ache afterwards wasn't fun. O__o

THEN, while glazing the charms I was able to redo and paint, I spilled the bottle all over the carpet O__o. So after cleaning it up I looked around and realized it had been my last bottle of glaze. So I had to rush to the nearest craft store and...they didn't have any of the glaze I needed. SOOO I went to the next one and again they didn't have the glaze I wanted so I grabbed the Satin Glaze version instead. It's not as glossy as the usual glaze I use BUT I actually like it better. I dunno. It seems to work on some charms but let me know what you guys think.^__^

But I did finish some of what I had on my list. Finished my major custom orders that are now up in my shop. Except one. Sorry, J! BUT I do have a bunch of Edward Apples Necklaces (3 more to be exact. Take that. ~__^ I had more but they got all wonky O__o), a simple Jacob necklace in his prom outfit and an Alice necklace. They have yet to be photographed but hopefully I'll have those up soon. Hooray! I didn't stick to my list but I'm gonna make up for it this week! ^__^ I swear. Hopefully. O__o If not, you can all stone me. :S

I'd like to thank Lauren for finally giving me a chance to sit down and do a Jasper and Alice bracelet. I've always liked Jasper's white jacket from the movie in the cafeteria scene. I don't know why but Jackson Rathbone just looks uber sexy in it. Especially with that collar up like that. ^__^ Grrr, baby! So I actually had this particular clay sculpture of Jasper with the collar up. ^__^



I tend to think Myrna kinda has it out for me. Keroppi was her next challenge thrown my way. But I was glad to do it. Personally, I'm more of a Pochacco and Badtz Maru girl. O__o I like puppies and grumpy penguins.



I'm waiting for her to ask me to do a full, foot tall, realistic sculpture of a nekkid Robert Pattinson in a centerfold pose, laying on a couch with his trademark sleepy eyes and a guitar covering his jahoobas (a la Titanic, anyone?). O__o.......Actually, I'm MORE than happy to give that a try, Myrna. Convo me ASAP! ~__^

Actually, I thought about this and figured it wasn't such a bad idea. I need to put my art education to good use! ~__^ I've seen some amazing polymer clay sculptures on line and I really want to take a stab at it but of course put my own twist in it. I'm not entirely sure when I'll be able to find the time or even if I'll be even half decent at it but you'll never know if you don't try. ^__^


What brought this on, you may ask? WELL...I've recently learned that someone else online is planning on selling their Twilight figurine clay charms on Etsy. It was only a matter of time. It was inevitable and so in some way I had accepted it. It's the way of the world. ^__^ But all I'll say is that real artists and innovators are the ones who think outside the box and come up with exciting and unique ideas. So you know what? Bring it. 'Cause I've got ideas to spare. :P

Now, don't misunderstand, I fully support anyone out there who wants to make clay charms. But be different. Be inspired but be original. Here's a great article that touches on this issue: 12 Secrets to Starting a Home Base Craft Business.

Which then leads me to this...a video blog? When did this happen? Amm....this week. Thanks to Sonja (piratedog on Etsy) for giving me the idea for my first vblog topic. ^__^ It covers the materials I use for my charms. There are a couple moments in the beginning where the video goes wonky for some reason but that goes away. ^__^ Enjoy!!



I hope at least 1/3 of you didn't feel like you wasted 10 minutes of your life. Although I don't claim to be an expert on charm-making but I hope it was somewhat informative. ^__^ I'm not going to be doing a lot of blogs. They just take too much time. Lucky you!! ~__^ But I hope that this one was at least helpful and/or amusing. ^__^ And seriously, I'm REALLY not a pill popper. O__o *twitch*

ALSO -I know I'm going on and on O__o- but please visit Lyssa's blog Twilightations! She's doing an entire month of giveaways and I'm also a part of! I'll be up in February but check out all the other sponsors and support handmade craft items!! Fabulous stuff!! And becoming part of the giveaway is so simple!

But that's all for now! Questions, concerns, er.....reminders O__o, blasts, wanna yell at me for a custom order I haven't gotten to.....you know what to do! Comment below, convo me, etc! ^__^ But for now, I'm going to pass out on my bed. ^__^

Butt loads of love,
Shielou

PS: The song in the beginning and end of my vblog is called "I Hear you Everywhere" from the Chobits soundtrack. ^__^ And yes, I'm kind of an anime freak. O__o *twitch* ALSO, I'd like to thank whoever let me know of this article from my last blog post. ^__^

7 comments:

animeangelfish said...

Who would know that cookies could bring about the destruction of the universe as we know it?! Thirty charms gone...Wow. *shakes head* that just sucks so badly. I'll admit I am very upset by these mishaps you've been having! I've been anxiously twiddling my thumbs and checking yoru shop all day in hopes of being able to finally gnab myself one of your necklaces.

I probably woudl have more luck just making a custom order eventually >.> But oh well. I guess I enjoy the idea of having to get on when you put something up and being able to buy it first.

Your Alice and Jasper bracelet is BEAUTIFUL. I like the balance it seems to have throughout the entire thing. and the colors...<3 I am a purple fan though.

I loved your video and I think it's a very good idea to keep your 'tricks of the trade' secret. I know of an individual who is planning to do just as you said but rest assured...yours are the best out there and I don't think it will really affect your shop any with them opening up their own.

I REALLY hope this week goes well for you in 'Shielou Crafting Happy Land' as I have dubbed it. And now it's not because I'm selfish and just want to spend my money on one of your masterpieces. Having a good week after a bad day (full of mishaps) can show in your work!

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

I enjoyed your video and seeing how passionate you are about your art. :)

Laina said...

Girl I know how bad crafts can go. And about ruining pieces unintentionally. For the longest time I couldn't find the right materials for the little things that I wanted to add to my necklaces so due to what I was using things would just get biffed up all the time -_- But now I feel so great about my necklaces :)

Thanks for the video blog! That was a really neat idea! I'd like to do something like that for mine but I have no idea of what I would talk about either, haha.

Laina

P.S. Is that my J you were referring to? *sniff sniff*

Jaymei Elle said...

I enjoyed your vblog dear! I just wish my hands had the talent yours did lol... my hands are too wobbly to even begin to make little dainty things as you do. best of luck with your new endeavors and your new work looks awesome girl!

Jaymei

DEE said...

Damn thos
DELIGHTFULLY Yummy COOKIES..teehee^_^
Everyone has thos bad days but all you do is wear a smile and LAUGH thru it all!!!

I think you are the BESTS-EST Charm maker ever!!!
And you are the coolest person in the whole world!!
i dont care how long it takes to get thos charms because i know it will be worth it...
And to all thos IMITATORS you will never beat SHIELOU ::Shielou's#1:::

*LovingShielou<3*

-dee

ps, dont over work yourself...

Britten said...

Great little video blog there. I am in the process of making my own clay charms (not Twilight characters, rest asured) and I was wondering if I was painting them correctly. I guess I am!

p.s. I put a picture of your Edward apple charm on my sig on TMs. I hope you don't mind. If you want, I will send you the collage.

iheartcullens said...

I've only just read this blog entry and I'm so happy my bracelet got a mention! That's right people, that bracelet is on its way to Australia as I type!!

:D :D :D

You did such a wonderful job, and I can't wait till I get it in the mail. I'll rip it out the mailman's hands if I have to! :P

Lauren
xox