Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Holidays, Policies and a Peek into 2009

Wooohoo! Happy Holidays, everybody! Insane week. I wouldn't have it in any other way though! ~__^ I want to quickly list all the stuff I'll be working on for this week so you all have a heads up. ^__^

1) 1 Custom order for TFan
2) 1 Jasper Hale Necklace
3) 1 Alice Cullen Necklace
4) 1 Twilight Prom Bracelet in Soft Pink and Lavender
5) 1 Lion, Lamb and Wolf Necklace

Hopefully I'll have more items, especially with Edward ~__^, but my schedule is kind of erratic and I tend to make items depending on my mood. I know... I'm a spaz. O__o


Also, I want to quickly talk about some of my shop rules. I know some people don't understand the reasoning behind my policy of not selling my figurine charms individually. I'd like to see myself as an artist first and foremost and a business owner second. This is my art and although my charms may look simple enough to some people they're hard to make and I put a lot of work and effort into each and everyone of them. So I'm very protective of my art and yes... I admit... I'm a bit of a control freak too. O__o

I also realize that the main reason people ask is because my items aren't exactly cheap but I can assure you that they're not made cheaply. One charm can take up to 3 hours each to make from sculpting, baking, painting and then glazing. Hopefully I'll get better in time but until then these are my prices and I feel like they're quite fair considering that they're all handmade by one person and it's all quite unique. But if you have any more questions regarding this please let me know! ^__^

And now regarding the future of Shielou! When I started out my shop I was only going to do it for a couple of months until I found a job. But having an Etsy shop has really changed my life as well as my outlook on success. I've always believed that success was wrapped in a 9-5, rush hour and cubicle package but Etsy has changed all that for me. Yes, it's hard, the hours grueling and demands rather stressful but I'm happy and content. And at the end of the day isn't that what we're all looking for? Etsy was something I never saw myself doing but life surprises you in strange ways. ^__^

So because of this I've decided to continue on to 2009. Who knows? Maybe this is all just a fluke and the shop will die down but I feel like this is my one chance at really taking a stab at it. I'm going to make it count! (Whoa...Titanic moment!) So I hope you guys are with me! YAY!!I have a lot of plans for 2009 including original digital paintings I'm turning into jewelry. Here's a peek of what I have so far. Edward is still a work-in-progress. But after this one I plan on having a Bella and Edward painting followed closely by other characters and maybe some original original stuff of my own. Don't fear. I will continue on with my clay figurines including some very new and exciting stuff (Including Edward vs The Pillow necklaces. O__o Intrigued? Hehe!). So stick around you guys! 2009 is gonna rock!


Love you all,
Shielou

3 comments:

lilybear621 said...

I'm so happy to hear that you will be continuing with your art on Etsy! I wish you all the luck in reaching your goals. Your items are really gorgeous and it is very obvious that much time and effort goes into each piece. I really love how each piece tells a story through not only the character charms, but the beads and other charms as well. They are all so creative and well-made! I can't wait to see your newest items this week. Have a great day!
Casey

lilybear621 said...

---I forgot to mention that I can't wait to see that intriguing Edward vs. the pillow necklace! LOL
Casey

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

I'm so glad I discovered your shop, and that you're going to continue sharing your talents with us on Etsy! :)